I am having a big issue with my tax payments. Last week, I paid my federal taxes by credit card (points were > than fees) and paid my state taxes by direct debit. Today, however, when I look at my bank account I see pending debits for payments to BOTH the federal government and the state government dated today.
My theory as to what happened: back in February when I filed my return through TurboTax, I must have signed up for automatic direct deposit on 4/16 (today) and then forgot that I did that. Looking back through my emails from then, however, I don't see any receipts or records that I set up such a payment.
I have a few questions:
1. How do I confirm that I did in fact make two payments? Would TurboTax or the governments have sent me a receipt?
2. I right now think that I have made one payment to the state gov via direct deposit and two payments to the federal gov (direct deposit and cc). Should I expect a second direct deposit to the govt from my payment last week?
3. How do I get my money back if I did double pay?
Thank you very much for your help.
1. First verify the date that you chose for direct debit.
2. If you overpaid your tax, the IRS will send you a refund, most likely via check and not through direct deposit.
3. Wait to see if the IRS self-corrects. If not received, contact IRS directly at 800-829-1040.