cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor I

Why is Intuit/TurboTax lobbying against simplifying the tax filing process?

Really disappointed to learn how much Intuit is lobbying AGAINST measures to make tax filing easier for individuals.  

https://www.vox.com/2016/3/29/11320386/turbotax-boycott-lobbying-tax-filing-season-tax-day-april-15

2 Comments
Catalyst V

you'd rather the government just tell you what you owe?

Member I

There are plenty of things in my taxes that the government does not already know about, like I have some self-employment and there is not one thing about it they would already know about.  Even though my investment sales are reported, I still have to deal with cost basis.  (Even on the covered shares, because the financial company isn't using the same method I am.) 

Furthermore, I don't trust the government.  You really want them taking control of your taxes? Just like I don't do anything else on "auto," I don't want my taxes on auto. That just gives them more control.  I have twice had letters from the IRS saying I owed more tax because of something "I screwed up" on my taxes, and yet, both times they were completely wrong, and I had to waste a ton of my time proving they don't know their own tax laws.

If it was simply my W-2 income, that might be one thing. But it's not. For people who do have simple taxes, they can probably use the free stuff anyway.  I can't use any of that stuff.  And I can't afford an accountant.  (I am an accountant, but I'm not a tax accountant, but I'd be ashamed of myself if I had to hire one.)

Instead of making tax FILING easy, how about the idea of making tax LAWS easier?  There was a time when filing taxes was voluntary, but things were a lot more simple then. Keep in mind it was that same government that made it so complicated to begin with!