State Tax Refund, 1099-G

I owed/paid a balance with my 2016 Federal and California returns.  After discovering a mistake I filed an **amendment** to 2016 Federal and California returns and received a refund from both.  The California refund arrived in August, 2017.  I did not receive a 1099-G in 2018 for the California refund and when I contacted the California FTB they confirmed their record of the refund and explained that the 1099-G would not be sent until 2019.  I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and enter the refund in my 2017 Federal return w/o the 1099-G or simply wait to enter it in my 2018 return.  I am inclined to do the later as that seems to line up best with when the IRS will receive the information from California.

Any advice one way or the other?

2 Comments
Catalyst V

State Tax Refund, 1099-G

If the refund was paid to you in 2017 you need to report it on your 2017 tax return - don't wait for the 1099-G.

State Tax Refund, 1099-G

Despite my originally stated inclination, after reading the IRS publications I ended up doing just what you have recommended.  Thanks for your affirmation ... Smiley Happy