Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor I

Filing multiple state taxes

I live in PA and work in PA.

I earned $800 working in NJ and received a 1099Misc from the company located in NJ.

Do I have to file a state return in NJ?

1 Comment
TurboTax Specialist

Filing multiple state taxes

Possibly.  The reciprocal agreement between New Jersey and Pennsylvania only covers employee compensation.  Since you received a 1099-MISC, that means you have likely received non-employee compensation and may need to file a return if you meet the requirements below.


New Jersey requires non-residents to file a return if they have New Jersey source income and have income from everywhere for the entire year that exceeds the filing threshold of:

  • Single, Married filing separate:  $10,000
  • Married filing joint, Head of Household, QW:  $20,000