cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Return Rejected for Dependent Claiming Exemption but Dependent did NOT Claim Exemption

So, here's the story I have in a nutshell:

I filled out my tax return claiming my mother as a dependent, and claiming myself as head of her household.  She lives out of state, but I provided more than half her support and provided more than half the costs of maintaining her household.  I have spreadsheets with the details and everything.  So I'm not worried about that issue itself.

I filed an extension and then finally went to file today.  When I filed, the federal return was rejected due to the dependent having claimed herself as a personal exemption.   However, said dependent showed me her TurboTax accepted return PDF and it shows that she checked the box indicating that she would be claimed as a dependent by someone else. (i.e. the YOU box was checked).  The amount she claimed was based on the worksheet and not based on her personal exemption.

However, I did see that she claimed a personal exemption on her Arizona tax return; this may have been a mistake, but in any case she got a $0 refund in Arizona...  

Would a federal tax return be rejected on the basis of a state personal exemption having been claimed!?  I don't understand why my return was rejected on said basis given that the individual did not claim a personal exemption...

2 Comments

Federal Return Rejected for Dependent Claiming Exemption but Dependent did NOT Claim Exemption

Never mind.  It was an entry error.  Social Security of dependent was typed with one number wrong!

Member I

To find out why your tax return is rejected, you can call the IRS to get the reason and get advice on how to most efficiently correct the issue. The best time to call the IRS is 7AM. The way to reach a live person is https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2647542-i-know-the-irs-phone-number-is-800-829-1040-but-how-to-do-...