Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor I

Filing in another state, wrongly prompted.

PROBLEM: TurboTax is telling me I need to file in another state in which I had no income. What do I do?


ANSWER:  If a W-2 or 1099 is accidentally or wrongly entered with the wrong state in its boxes for "State" (typically near the bottom of the W-2 or 1099), an entry is automatically made in a TurboTax information worksheet. First, find and correct the offending W-2 or 1099. However, that information is NOT automatically corrected when the erroneous W-2 or 1099 is corrected.  To get TurboTax to forget about that false-start information, go to the "Forms" mode, open the form "Info Wks" and near the bottom of that form is a section called "Nonresident states:" in which the erroneous state will be listed.  Edit that form and remove the erroneous information.