Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor I

Importing prior year return after amending it

After I completed my 2017 return (Turbo Tax Deluxe), having imported my 2016 return information, I want back and filed an amended 2016 return. Is there any way to "re-import" my amended 2016 return into 2017 without starting out from scratch? It will not affect my 2017 return, but would provide the corrected historical information - going forward.

1 Comment
Catalyst V

Importing prior year return after amending it

If you used the Desktop version of TurboTax 2016 to amend your 2016 return, *AND* you used the desktop version of TurboTax 2017 to file your 2017 return, the only possible way is to completely  delete your 2017 return entirely and start over. I "DO NOT" under any circumstances recommend that. It would be absolutely impossible to get the 2017 program to match your 2017 return as originally filed for amending, if correcting any figures imported are to be part of the amended 2017 return.

You will have to amend your 2017, and manually enter any carryover changes from 2016, into the 2017 amended return. If you used the online version of TurboTax 2017, then this may not be possible - but I don't know for sure.